My slice of Humble pie

To eat or not to eat.  Or better yet, To eat or not to PASS OUT!!!  Yep.  It happened, and it wasn't fun.  So I guess you are wondering what exactly happened.  I'll tell you!  Don't worry!  Maybe someone will learn from my mistake.

The day started with a short pre-race 30 min bike ride and 10 min run with a buddy of mine down by the Chattahoochee.  We started at about 8:30 so it wasn't too hot yet.  Maybe about 80 degrees.  It's GA, in the summer!  :)  But the ride was slow and flat.  No problems but I was definitely sweating since my thermal regulation is much different now with the Bean and all.  Body temperature is the most important part and the Bean knows exactly what it wants.  We got back from the ride and put on our shoes for a short 10 min run on the path by the river.  It was nice and shaded so not too bad.  When we got done with that, I went with my friend to all3sports for him to get some shorts and for me to visit some people I hadn't seen in a while.  All this time, a gel before we went riding, but nothing after that.  I was feeling just fine so didn't think anything of it.  Rudy called me to get some lunch on my way home so I stopped at Aladdin's which is this awesome mediterranean place right up the road from the tri shop and got us some lunch.  When I got home, 3 hours after I finished riding, I ate what I could of the enormous sandwiches they make, took a shower, and we headed to another buddy's place to see him since we had been missing each other for a while trying to get schedules worked out and everything.  This is where it all went wrong...

I still was feeling great, happy that I had done a short brick that morning and feeling really good about it. We got to our friend's place and started chatting and just catching up.  3 hours later, all I had put into my body was water since the time we ate lunch.  We were just walking around looking at some things and talking, having a good time, and all of a sudden, I felt like I was going to give whatever was in my stomach back right there on the floor.  Then, I felt light headed so thought I should go sit down.  I started walking towards some stairs he had set up for people to sit on and on the way, my vision went.  Everything got blurry, then quickly black, and all I had was a small circle of blurry vision to make my way the rest of the 10 ft to the steps, and PLOP!  Everything went black and I passed out, sitting on the steps!  I immediately knew what was wrong and did not lose consciousness so started calling Rudy's name.  After a couple times, he came over and I told him I wasn't feeling well.  I didn't know what had just happened but it was not good.  I started sweating profusely and then got really cold, even though it was probably about 80 degrees where we were.  Rudy and our friend got me some water and whatever food they could find along with a Mix1 protein drink.  With the first bite of the food, I immediately felt better.  Not 100% but much better.  The more I ate, the better I felt, and the more alert I became.  We sat there for a few minutes for me to get everything back together and just started talking again.  Everything was okay now, I hoped.

After a few more minutes, Rudy and I got our stuff and headed out since we had to run a couple more errands.  On the way to our next adventure, I started feeling light headed again and made Rudy stop for some more water and a protein bar.  Much better.  And it just kept getting better the more I ate or drank.

So needless to say, this was a very scary humbling experience.  The bean is resiliant and will take what it wants, even if that means everything I've got!  So I have to be aware of that and take food with me everywhere I go!  Even if I'm just going to the store, I need to have food with me.  Every day is a learning experience and I hope I'm passing my test pretty well so far.  4.5 more months!!  Can't wait!


Popular Posts